What to Do to Fix a Loose Toilet Handle?
Posted in Clogged Drains
Loose and wiggly toilet handles are not only slack while using, but they are also annoying and can affect the functions of your toilet adversely. Even if there is nothing wrong with the toilet itself, a loose toilet handle can cause several issues leading to a plumbing emergency.
If you encounter a wiggling toilet handle, here is a list of tips you should follow to fix it. Give it a thorough read.
How to Tighten the Loose Handle?
Loose Toilet handles are minor toilet problems. You can fix it quite easily by homely means. You can go for tightening it, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Put down the toilet seat cover to close it.
- Uncover the toilet tank with both hands. Set the lid aside on a flat surface to avoid accidental damage.
- Use the shut-off valve to empty the tank. You should find the valve at the base of the toilet, near the back.
- Look inside the tank, directly opposite of the handle to find the mounting nut.
- Turn the nut counterclockwise with a wrench till it is snug. Be careful not to tighten the nut too much, as this could crack up the porcelain and make a bigger mess!
- Once the nut is tight enough, depress the lever to test it. If it is fixed, you will know it by the feel and sound of the lever.
- Turn on the water supply and cover the tank with the lid. And voila! You just fixed the loose handle with the tips from pro plumbers in Surrey.
Sometimes, the issue still persists even after tightening the handle. This means that there is still something wrong with the toilet lever. In that case you can replace the handle entirely.
How to Replace the Toilet Handle?
If your toilet handle is still not functioning properly despite tightening, you have to replace it. You can always call the plumbers in Surrey for that or do it yourself, here is how:
- Do a little research and figure out which hardware you need. Find out facts about your existing toilet model and its specific parts.
- Get the necessary tools and hardware from your nearest store.
- Uncover the lid of the tank and empty it just as directed in the previous guide.
- Inside the tank, find the chain clip attached to the lever’s inside that goes to the flapper.
- Undo the clasp and detach the handle.
- Remove the mounting nut inside the tank holding the handle. Rotate clockwise to loosen it with a wrench.
- Pull out the old handle once the nut and the chain are removed.
- Take the new handle and unscrew the mounting nut.
- Put the lever in the tank and attach it using the screw and chain.
- Turn on the water and test your new handle.
Thus, whenever you encounter a loose toilet handle you can fix it yourself. In case of any plumbing emergency or regular maintenance, get in touch with the plumbing services in Surrey for the best results.